1003 West Main Street
1003 West Main Street is a contributing structure in the West Main Street Architectural Design Control District. It is currently occupied by the University of Virginia but was formerly home to supermarkets, a furniture store, and a bakery.
In 2009, the Planning Commission approved a special use permit filed by architect William Atwood for a 45-unit, six-story building called the Sycamore, modifying one issued in 2008 for 16 "luxury-style" units, with 2 affordable at 60% area median income. The Sycamore was never constructed.
In 2016, UVa purchased the property for $2.99 million.
|This article is a stub. You can help cvillepedia by expanding it.|
The current one-story cinderblock and stucco building was constructed in 1948 to be a Stop & Shop grocery store owned by the Gleason family.
- Stop & Shop grocery store
- P & J's Market
- Under the Roof furniture store
- Web. Approved special use permit will allow higher density development on West Main Street, Connie Chang, Charlottesville Tomorrow, December 10, 2009, retrieved December 9, 2013.