Piedmont Sierra Club
|This article is a stub. You can help cvillepedia by expanding it.|
The Piedmont Group of the Sierra Club is a non-profit organization that seeks to encourage conservation by influencing public policy.
|An article on Wikipedia has information about the Sierra Club in areas beyond Albemarle County's borders.|
2011 Local comprehensive plan update vision statement
We value a community of diverse individuals and groups who adhere to principles of sustainability, justice, equity and respect for free speech. We cherish individuals, our cultural environment and our natural environment. We recognize our obligation to live within limits of the natural environment. We believe governments, businesses and voluntary organizations should promote access to the necessities of life for all residents. We regard the values and elements of this vision as interconnected and necessary.
Our Envisioned Community
We envision our community as one in which the values above are realized in:
- The lives of individuals with:
- Respect for residents of all races, nationalities, religions and sexual orientations.
- Safety and equal justice for all residents.
- Equal opportunity for all residents to help plan and implement this vision.
- Promotion of healthy communities by minimizing the use of toxins.
- Availability of safe, healthy food for all residents.
- The cultural environment with:
- Open and accountable governments.
- Recognition by all of obligations to the common good.
- Quality educational opportunities for students of all vocations and ages.
- Good health care for all residents.
- Provisions for ample affordable housing for low-income residents.
- An economy that provides meaningful and rewarding jobs for all workers.
- Provisions for efficient public transportation and alternatives to the automobile (including bicycles).
- Diverse recreational opportunities for all.
- The natural environment with:
- Active protection of essential natural resources (including air, water, natural areas).
- Maintenance of stable or near-stable human population size.
- Commitment to reduction of per capita energy consumption.
- Strong reliance on renewable energy resources.
- Promotion of sustainable agriculture.
- ↑ Web. Piedmont Group Sierra Club, official site, Sierra Club, retrieved 08 Sept. 2010.
- ↑ Background on Key Issues in the Albemarle-Charlottesville Water Plan Controversy. Rep. 7 Sept. 2010. Web. 8 Sept. 2010. <http://virginia.sierraclub.org/piedmont/water_plan_issues_summary_09072010.pdf>.
- ↑ E-mail. Tom Oliver, Piedmont Group of the Sierra Club. "Sierra Club vision statement." Message to Brian Wheeler & Sean Tubbs, Charlottesville Tomorrow. 14 June 2011.
- ↑ Web. Piedmont Sierra Club endorses Blount and Smith for City Council, Chiara Canzi, C-VILLE Weekly, Portico Publications, August 4th 03:26pm
- ↑ Web. Sierra Club endorses Neff, Dumler and Mallek for Albemarle Board, Chiara Canzi, C-VILLE Weekly, Portico Publications, September 28, 2011, retrieved October 3, 2011.