Yancey Elementary School
Benjamin Franklin Yancey Elementary School is an Albemarle County public elementary school providing kindergarten through 5th grade. Yancey is a part of the Southern Feeder Pattern and students will attend either Walton Middle School and graduate from Monticello High School. As of 2012, Yancey had 147 students enrolled and employed 52 faculty and staff members.
|This school article is a stub. You can help cvillepedia by expanding it.|
Yancey Elementary was founded in 1960 in rural Scottsville and named for Benjamin Franklin Yancey, an African-American educator who came to Albemarle County in the 1890s and established a school for African Americans. The land upon which Yancey Elementary is situated was donated by the Men's League, an organization also founded by Yancey. The school was made of brick, a fact that delighted its first attendees.
In 2009, the county had commissioned a study to see if there would be savings in consolidating Yancey with Red Hill Elementary School and Scottsville Elementary School. The idea was rejected because of community support for all three schools. In October 2012, the School Board met with Supervisors and discussed the possibility of expanding Yancey for other uses in addition to education.. In December 2013, the Yancey Workgroup presented their final report, which recommended transforming the school into an intergenerational learning center via public-private partnerships.
In August 2012, the Albemarle County School Board approved long-delayed proposed repairs to Yancey, including work on the roof HVAC system, and septic field. The work is projected to cost an estimated $6 million and will include renovations over the next ten years. The Board of Supervisors agreed to the spending in September 2012. 
The current principal of Yancey Elementary is Craig Dommer.
The following is a list of people who have served as principal.
|2012 - present||Craig Dommer|
|2006 - 2012||Alison Dwier-Selden|
|2004 - 2006||Jeanette Avery|
|2001 - 2004||Debora Collins|
|1990 - 2001||Sidney Tate|
|1985 - 1990||Carolyn Paige|
|1982 - 1985||Carolyn Gaines|
|1977 - 1982||Gerald Terrell|
|1974 - 1977||Manie Philips|
|1971 - 1974||Jimmy Jones|
|1967 - 1971||Fulton Marshall|
|1961 - 1967||Elisha Gantt|
|1960 - 1961||Isaac Faulkner|
Yancey Elementary is located at 7625 Porters Road.
- Web. BF Yancey Elementary Profile, Albemarle County Public Schools, retrieved May 31, 2012.
- Web. Yancey decision retains critical piece of community's fabric, Aaron Richardson, Daily Progress, World Media Enterprises, October 13, 2012, retrieved October 17, 2012.
- Web. Yancey Workgroup recommends public-private partnerships, Tim Shea, Charlottesville Tomorrow, Charlottesville Tomorrow, December 13, 2013, retrieved December 24, 2013.
- Web. School Board votes to make reparis to Yancey, Aaron Richardson, Daily Progress, August 9, 2012, retrieved August 10, 2012.
- Web. Three Principals Selected, Albemarle County Public Schools, June 7, 2012, retrieved June 7, 2012.