West Main Streetcar (historical)
|This article is a stub. You can help cvillepedia by expanding it.|
Charlottesville's first streetcar system was built along West Main Street in 1887 by the Charlottesville and University Street Railway Company with privately raised local capital. This track carried horse-drawn cars initially, until the Charlottesville City & Suburban Railway Company ran the first electric streetcar in 1895, collecting 2,000 fares in its first two days of operation. The horse-drawn and electric-powered streetcar tracks were combined in 1896, leading to the end of horse-powered streetcars in Charlottesville.
Charlottesville's streetcar lines served more than 1.5 million passengers annually by the early 1900s. It eventually closed in 1935 due to declining ridership and profitability.
- ↑ Web. This Day in Charlottesville History, City of Charlottesville, retrieved March 12, 2012.
- ↑ Web. Getting Around: Transportation in Turn-of-the-Century Charlottesville and Albemarle, Charlottesville Historical Society, Charlottesville Area Transit, retrieved Nov 18, 2011.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Web. Charlottesville National Register of Historic Places nomination document, Charlottesville Department of Community Development, National Register of Historic Places, National Park Service, Washington, D.C., 1981, retrieved 18 Nov, 2011.