West Main Street
West Main Street is the signed portion of Business Route 250 through Charlottesville connecting the University of Virginia to Downtown. It's also a rapidly changing corridor that is at the center of an ongoing streetscape and zoning review. 
James Dinsmore, Thomas Jefferson's building manager, built several brick townhomes on the street in the early 19th century. The road's economic development fortunes took a turn for the positive when the Virginia Central Railroad built tracks alongside. 
The road became a core of Charlottesville's African-American community and several important churches as well as the Jefferson School. In the 1930's, automobile dealers opened showrooms on the road, all of which were gone by the end of the 20th century. 
21st Century Redevelopment
When the city adopted a new zoning ordinance in 2003, parcels of land along the corridor were upzoned in order to allow for more density and taller buildings. There have been many studies to guide that development throughout the history.
Buildings along the road are subject to the West Main Street Architectural Design Control District. 
The street has a high walkability score. 
Changes since 2012
Flats at West Village
Marriott Residence Inn
In June 2012 the Charlottesville Board of Architectural Review granted partial approval to a new hotel to be built on the corner of West Main Street and Ridge-McIntire. The hotel, which would be a Marriott Residence Inn, requires only site plan approval from the BAR in order to move forward with the project.  Their approval was granted in June 2013. 
1000 West Main Street
A series of West Main studies
In 2013, the city hired Rhodeside & Harwell to conduct a land-use study and streetscape for the corridor. The direction was set in part by the PLACE Design Task Force at their meeting on November 2012.  City Council agreed to spend $350,000 on the project in February 2013. 
The study began in October 2013 with a walking tour of the corridor. 
In January 2015, Mayor Satyendra Huja announced he could not support the finished product.
Businesses and organizations
- Asian Express
- Blue Moon Diner
- Continental Divide
- Courtyard Hotel
- Dinsmore House Inn
- First Baptist Church
- The Flower Shop
- Habitat for Humanity of Greater Charlottesville
- Hampton Inn
- Horse & Hound Gastropub
- Main Street Market
- Maya Restaurant
- Mel's Diner
- Sheer Power Hair Salon (Republic Plaza)
- Threepenny Cafe
- University Baptist Church
- University Tire & Auto Center
- University of Virginia Employees Credit Union
- West Main Restaurant
- Web. Officials and citizens review possible changes to West Main zoning, Charlottesville Tomorrow, March 17, 2015, retrieved March 18, 2015.
- Web. Charlottesville Urban Design and Affordable Housing, Kenneth A. Schwarz, Institute for Advanced Technology in the Humanities, retrieved November 29, 2012.
- Web. West Main Street ADC District, City of Charlottesville, retrieved March 29, 2012.
- Web. Street cred: West Main relaxes, David McNair, The Hook, Better Publications LLC, September 10, 2011, retrieved March 29, 2012. Print. September 15, 2011 , 1037, .
- Web. , Walk Score, retrieved March 29, 2012.
- Web. A streetcar for West Main, Sean Tubbs & Kendall Singleton, Charlottesville Tomorrow, January 31, 2008, retrieved March 12, 2012.
- Web. Building at JPA-West Main intersection to come down, Sean Tubbs, Charlottesville Tomorrow, September 12, 2012, retrieved August 5, 2014.
- Web. Major University housing and mixed-use project coming to West Main, Sean Tubbs, Charlottesville Tomorrow, October 3, 2012, retrieved August 5, 2014.
- Web. New West Main hotel gets partial approval from BAR, Sean Tubbs, Charlottesville Tomorrow, June 25, 2012, retrieved June 25, 2012.
- Web. New West Main hotel wins BAR approval, Claudia Elzey, Charlottesville Tomorrow, June 19, 2013, retrieved August 5, 2014.
- Web. Republic Plaza slated for demolition to clear way for six story building, Sean Tubbs, Charlottesville Tomorrow, August 19, 2013, retrieved August 5, 2014.
- Web. Third student housing complex proposed for West Main, Sean Tubbs, Charlottesville Tomorrow, October 20, 2013, retrieved August 5, 2014.
- Web. PLACE task force considers West Main and Belmont Bridge, Sean Tubbs, Charlottesville Tomorrow, November 9, 2012, retrieved August 5, 2014.
- Web. City to jumpstart West Main improvements, Sean Tubbs, Charlottesville Tomorrow, February 24, 2013, retrieved August 5, 2014.
- Web. West Main study begins with tour of changing corridor, Sean Tubbs, Charlottesville Tomorrow, October 24, 2013, retrieved August 5, 2014.