Walker Upper Elementary School
Since 1988, the City of Charlottesville's school system has maintained two separate schools for grades 5-6 and 7-8 for the students between elementary and high school. In response to an efficiency study, the Charlottesville School Board decided in October 2010 to create a single middle school housing grades 6-8 at either the Walker Upper Elementary School or Buford Middle School complex. Grade 5 would return to existing elementary schools.[reconfig 1]
In October 2010, school officials said the grade reconfiguration changes would occur after the 2011-12 school year and that the major renovation projects were expected to cost around $36 million.[reconfig 2]
In February 2011, the Charlottesville School Board decided to create a consolidated middle school at Buford Middle School by 2015. Walker will be refurbished for preschool, adult education, and central office staffing needs.[reconfig 3]
This has not occurred as of May 2016.
School Population (June 2011)
- Enrollment: 547
- Asian/Pacific Islander: 5.3%
- African American: 42.0%
- Hispanic: 7.9%
- White: 44.4%
- ESL students: 18.3%
- Gifted students: 35.6%
- (Special Education students: 15.9%
- Pupil/teacher ratio: 16.25:1
- Web. Staff Directory, retrieved 5 June 2012.
- Web. [http://www.ccs.k12.va.us/schools/walker/docs/WLKProfile2011-12.pdf Walker Upper Elementary School], retrieved 25 June 2012.
- Web. City school grade configurations to change, Rachana Dixit, Daily Progress, retrieved 4 Nov. 2010.
- Web. City middle school plan could cost $36 million, Rachana Dixit, Daily Progress, retrieved 4 Nov. 2010.
- Web. City School Board OKs budget; Buford to house middle-schoolers, Brandon Shulleeta, Daily Progress, 17 Feb 2011, retrieved 6 March 2011.
|City of Charlottesville Public Schools|
|Elementary schools||Burnley-Moran Elementary School • Clark Elementary School • Greenbrier Elementary School • Jackson-Via Elementary School • Johnson Elementary School • Venable Elementary School|
|Upper schools||Walker Upper Elementary School • Buford Middle School • Charlottesville High School|
|See also||Charlottesville School Board|