The Women's Initiative
The Women's Initiative is a non-profit group whose mission is "to provide effective counseling services, social support and education to empower women to transform challenging life situations into opportunities for renewed well-being and personal growth." Services provided are aimed at women who do not have health insurance.
The Women's Initiative was founded in August, 2007 in a space owned by Martha Jefferson Hospital and the organization is also paired with the Charlottesville Free Clinic. In 2012 they announced their intention to launch a childhood obesity prevention and treatment program, to be housed in the Jefferson School City Center.
Board of Directors
- Bebe Heiner, LPC, President and Founder
- Susan Winslow, MSN, RN, CNAA, BC, Vice President
- Chuck Rotgin, Secretary / Treasurer
- Louise McNamee
- Dr. Marcus L. Martin
- Sherri Barrow Moore, JD
- Alison Webb
- Web. The Women's Initiative, retrieved November 30, 2010.
- Web. In its first 5 years, Women's Initiative goes from 'an empty building' to a major community resource, Megan E. David, The Daily Progress, August 8, 2012, retrieved August 8, 2012.
- Web. The Women's Initiative - About Us, retrieved November 30, 2010.