The Standard is a proposed six-story apartment building on West Main Street that will be completed in the summer of 2018. It is built on the site of the former Republic Plaza.  It is being developed by Landmark Properties.
The developer's local representative is John Matthews.
- August 20, 2013: BAR grants demolition permit for Republic Plaza 
- September 10, 2013: Charlottesville Planning Commission holds initial meeting to discuss the project 
- September 17, 2013: BAR holds review of the project 
- October 8, 2013: Planning Commission recommends approval 
- November 4, 2013: Council approves special use permit 
- January 2014: BAR grants certificate of appropriateness 
- May 2016: BAR amends certificate of appropriateness and develop says construction could begin by the end of the year. 
- November 2016: Fences erected around the Republic Plaza in advance of demolition.
- December 2016: Developer makes payment of $665,000 to the Charlottesville Affordable Housing Fund 
|This article is a stub. You can help cvillepedia by expanding it.|
- Web. Republic Plaza slated for demolition to clear way for six story building, Sean Tubbs, Charlottesville Tomorrow, August 19, 2013, retrieved August 5, 2014.
- Web. BAR approves demolition for 25-year-old building on West Main, Sean Tubbs, Charlottesville Tomorrow, August 20, 2013, retrieved August 5, 2014.
- Web. New West Main housing complex critiqued, Charlottesville Tomorrow, September 10, 2013, retrieved August 5, 2014.
- Web. City reviews impacts of more housing for university students on West Main, Sean Tubbs, Charlottesville Tomorrow, September 23, 2013, retrieved August 5, 2014.
- Web. Commission recommends approval for West Main apartments, Sean Tubbs, Charlottesville Tomorrow, October 13, 2013, retrieved August 5, 2014.
- Web. Council approves second West Main student housing building, Sean Tubbs, Charlottesville Tomorrow, November 5, 2013, retrieved August 5, 2014.
- Web. January 2014 Charlottesville Board of Architectural Review minutes, Minutes, City of Charlottesville, retrieved October 8, 2017.
- Web. Six-story West Main apartment project moving forward, Sean Tubbs, Charlottesville Tomorrow, May 17, 2016, retrieved May 18, 2016.
- Web. Developer of The Standard to pay $665,000 to city housing fund, Sean Tubbs, News Article, Charlottesville Tomorrow, December 5, 2016, retrieved April 22, 2018.