The Farm (property)
The Farm is one of Charlottesville's individually protected properties, meaning any exterior changes or potential demolition would have to be approved by the Board of Architectural Review. The property is located at 1201 Jefferson Street, East. The Nicholas Lewis House, also an individually protected building, sits on the property. The Farm is surrounded by hardwood trees and has a view of Monticello. It is located in Charlottesville's Locust Grove neighborhood.
The Farm is part of a 1,020-acre tract obtained by Nicholas Meriwether in 1735 from King George III. It became known as "The Farm" because it was the one area cleared in the surrounding virgin forest at the time. Meriwether's main house burned after a few decades, and his grandson, Nicholas Lewis, inherited the property. British Col. Banastre Tarleton likely used a building on the property as headquarters during the Revolutionary War in June of 1781.
University of Virginia law professor John A.G. Davis purchased a portion of the original property in 1825 and hired Thomas Jefferson's workmen to design and build a house which was briefly occupied by General Custer in March of 1865.
A Daughters of the American Revolution sign on the property states that Daniel Boone was imprisoned there, but that claim has not been substantiated.
- "Charlottesville : Architectural Design Control District and Individually Protected Property Information." Charlottesville : Home. Web. 16 Aug. 2010. <http://www.charlottesville.org/Index.aspx?page=812>.
- Web. Nicholas Lewis House, Michael Bednar, February 2002, retrieved 6 July 2012.
- Web. The Farm, City of Charlottesville, F, retrieved 6 July 2012.
- Web. Paul Goodloe McIntire’s Rivanna (04), Bill Emory, Fabric of History, October 2, 2013, retrieved October 3, 2013.
- Web. Georgia O'Keefe was here, Lisa Provence, The Hook, Better Publications LLC, retrieved 6 July 2012. Print. 28 February 2002 , #0104, .