Route 29 Solutions
The Route 29 Solutions is a package of transportation projects budgeted at $230 million that were approved in the summer of 2014 in the wake of the demise of the Western Bypass.
|This Transportation-related article is a stub. You can help cvillepedia by expanding it.|
The projects were developed rapidly after the Federal Highway Administration raised doubts that it would approve the bypass without seeing alternatives. Governor Terry McAuliffe decided to pursue other options to relieve congestion on U.S. 29 in Albemarle County and hired Philip Shucet to oversee a Route 29 Advisory Panel consisting of stakeholders from throughout the region, though the group never took a vote on the former VDOT commissioner's recommendations. A Route 29 Project Delivery Advisory Panel reviewed the project as the request for proposals for three of them were developed.
- Berkmar Drive Extended (contract awarded to Lane / Corman Joint Venture in February 2015)
- Route 29/250 Bypass interchange improvements (under contract)
- Grade separated interchange at Rio Road and US29 (contract awarded in February 2015)
- 29 North Widening-Widening between Polo Grounds Road and Hollymead Town Center (contract awarded to Lane group in February 2015)
- Adaptive traffic signal technology (under development)
- Hillsdale Drive Extended (City pursuing right of way acquisition)
- Hydraulic Road grade-separated interchange (preliminary engineering in 2018)
- Hillsdale Drive South (to be studied alongside Hydraulic Road interchange)
- Second Amtrak passenger train (2019)
- May 8, 2014: Shucet unveils recommendations to the first advisory panel 
- June 18, 2014: Commonwealth Transportation Board eliminates Western Bypass funding and transfers it to the Route 29 Solutions projects 
- January 24, 2015: Board of Supervisors issues statement in regard to the budget amendment (text)
- January 28, 2015: MPO Policy Board reaffirms support for Route 29 Solutions 
- October 4, 2017: Joel DeNunzio tells Albemarle supervisors that the projects have reduced crashes and reduced travel time 
- Web. Recommendations unveiled for U.S. 29 congestion relief, Sean Tubbs, Charlottesville Tomorrow, May 8, 2014, retrieved May 19, 2014.
- Web. Western Bypass funding eliminated; CTB supports other U.S. 29 projects, Sean Tubbs, Charlottesville Tomorrow, June 18, 2014, retrieved June 19, 2014.
- Web. MPO reaffirms support for Rio Road interchange, Sean Tubbs, Charlottesville Tomorrow, January 28, 2015, retrieved December 21, 2015.
- Web. VDOT: Fewer crashes, faster travel times after U.S. 29 projects, Sean Tubbs, News Article, Charlottesville Tomorrow, October 6, 2017, retrieved October 9, 2017.