Pantops

From Cvillepedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Pantops Mountain is in Albemarle County, directly east of Charlottesville across the Rivanna River. In 1777, Thomas Jefferson purchased some of the land for use as a farm.

According to Edward C. Mead, "Pantops--formerly written 'Pant-Ops'--was therefore, so named by Mr. Jefferson from two Greek words...meaning 'all-seeing,' significant of the extended view from its summit."[1] [2]



Pantops could refer to:

References

  1. Mead, Edward C. Historic Homes of the South-West Mountains Virginia. 1978. C.J, Carrier Company, Harrisonburg, VA. 41.
  2. Web. Yesteryears: Pantops, Part 1: Education an important part of corridor's early history, David Maurer, Daily Progress, World Media Enterprises, December 31, 2016, retrieved January 5, 2017.