Office of the City Treasurer
The City Treasurer is a constitutional officer elected by the citizens of Charlottesville, responsible for preparing, mailing and collecting all tax bills in the city of Charlottesville. The treasurer also supervises the collection of all other city revenue from taxes, fees, and services, and the managements and investment of those revenues.
The treasurer is also the fiscal agent for city departments and funds, including those for schools and employee retirement..
Retirement brings election
He had been appointed to the position after Jennifer J. Brown retired due to health problems. She had been elected to a fifth term on November 3, 2009.  Republicans and members of the Jefferson Area Tea Party called for a special election to fill the vacancy which will cost the city as much as $35,000  Judge Edward Hogshire held a hearing on the matter on November 28, 2012. On the same day, Republican party leader Charles L. Weber, Jr. told Hogshire said he spoken with a potential candidate for the seat.  Hogshire ruled that a special election would be held on April 2, 2013.  The last contested race for treasurer had been in 1969. 
Vandever will also face election in November 2013.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Web. City Treasurer - Duties, city website, City of Charlottesville, retrieved December 15, 2010.
- ↑ Web. Vandever wins Charlottesville treasurer race, Aaron Richardson, Daily Progress, World Media Enterprises, April 2, 2013, retrieved April 4, 2013.
- ↑ Web. City council supports acting treasurer, Joseph Liss, Cavalier Daily, retrieved October 17, 2012.
- ↑ Web. Republicans find candidate for Charlottesville treasurer, Daily Progress Staff Reports, Daily Progress, World Media Enterprises, November 28, 2012, retrieved November 28, 2012.
- ↑ Web. Election for city treasurer to be held April 2, Bryan McKenzie, Daily Progress, World Media Enterprises, December 1, 2012, retrieved December 3, 2012.
- ↑ Web. After nearly 50 years, Charlottesville will see contested Treasurer's race, Rick Sincere, Charlottesville Examiner, retrieved January 10, 2013.
The office is located at 605 East Main Street, Room A120, Charlottesville, Virginia 22902.