McIntire Botanical Garden
The McIntire Botanical Garden is a non-profit organization that advocates the construction of a botanical garden in the eastern half of McIntire Park. After years of negotiations, the group entered into a memorandum of agreement with the city of Charlottesville in late September 2015. 
The group hopes to open the park in the spring of 2018.
Board of Directors
- Dorothy Tompkins, President
- Anita Showers, Vice-President
- Virginia Dougherty, Secretary
- Sandy Wilcox, Treasurer
- Helen Flamini, Founder
- Peter Mcintosh
- C. Colston Burrell
- Blake Caravati
- Cindy Hamadi
- Katy McCune
- Leslie Sewell
- Joan Swanberg
According to the City of Charlottesville's Website, there have been two public meetings so far about the design of the garden. The last one was on September 3rd, 2014. Closed meetings have continued since then between McIntire Botanical Garden's and City Staff. 
Draft Memorandum of Understanding
On January 27th, 2015 city parks staff drafted a memorandum of understanding which would guide the formal relationship between McIntire Botanical Garden and the City of Charlottesville. The agreement was signed in September 2015.
Other botanical garden proposals
Charlottesville Botanical Garden was a competing non-profit organization with similar goals. At a McIntire Botanical Garden meeting held Aug. 28 2008, Lonnie Murray, a representative of that group, said he would be willing to merge the two groups. 
- City makes botanical garden partnership official, Sean Tubbs, Charlottesville Tomorrow, September 16, 2013.
- Web. Officers, Board, Volunteers, McIntire Botanical Garden, retrieved April 18, 2014.
- Web. Memorandum of Agreement between McIntire Botanical Garden and City of Charlottesville, McIntire Botanical Garden an the City of Charlottesville, September 29, 2015, retrieved October 13, 2015.
- Web. Botanical garden supporters see future in McIntire Park, Sean Tubbs, Charlottesville Tomorrow, August 29, 2009, retrieved February 9, 2015.