Sentara Martha Jefferson Hospital
|This article is a stub. You can help cvillepedia by expanding it.|
History Among the founding doctors were Halsted Hedges and Lawrence Flanagan.
A series of expansions in the 1970's took over and eliminated Jackson and Taylor Streets in Charlottesville. 
The hospital's Board of Directors had been exploring the possibility of merging with another healthcare provider since 2008. The Board of Directors unanimously agreed to become Sentara's 10th hospital. One stated reason to merge is to become more efficient and to better navigate the effects of health-care reform.
It is believed that Martha Jefferson could save up to $6 million in purchasing costs by using Sentara's procurement system.
As part of the merger, the size of the hospital's board of directors will shrink from 12 to 9, and 3 of the members will be from Sentara's board. 
"Sentara" was officially added to the hospital name in September 2015.
East High Street
In December 1929 the hospital was moved to a new building known as the Patterson Wing with a bed capacity of 50. It was named in honor of donors Mr. and Mrs. J.A. Patterson. The wing one of Charlottesville's individually protected properties
In 1954, the capacity of the hospital was increased to 112 beds with the addition of the Rucker Wing named in honor of Mr. J.W. Rucker.
In 1964, additional beds were added at Martha Jefferson Hospital bringing the total beds to 136, its capacity as of 1970.
As part of the renovation, the Rucker wing is expected to be converted into a 20-unit apartment building. 
Moving to Pantops
Future of former campus
The firm Octagon Partners purchased the former campus for $6.5 million and planned a redevelopment project.   Octagon will take possession of the building no later than January 1, 2012.  . The CFA Institute will move its headquarters there in March 2013 following redevelopment.  Ground will be broken in April 2012. 
The hospital had originally hired Crosland Development, but that company opted out due to the ongoing economic downturn. Recent reports suggest the development may happen on an incremental basis rather than being done all at once.
- Web. Martha Jefferson moves every patient to new hospital, Sharon C. Fitzgerald, Daily Progress, World Media Enterprises, August 28, 2011, retrieved August 29, 2011.
- Web. The next neighborhood, Brendan Fitzgerald, C-VILLE Weekly, Portico Publications, October 11, 2011, retrieved October 13, 2011. Print. October 11, 2011 .
- Martha Jefferson Hospital. Welcome to Martha Jefferson Hospital. Cleveland, TN: Martha Jefferson Hospital, 1970. Print.
- Web. Martha Jefferson: The hospital that ate my neighborhood, Carroll Trainum, The Hook, Better Publications LLC, August 11, 2011, retrieved August 19, 2011. Print. August 11, 2011 , 1035, .
- Web. Martha Jefferson to merge with Sentara, Daily Progress, World Media Enterprises, September 30, 2010, retrieved September 30, 2010.
- Web. Martha Jefferson - Sentara Health Care, September 29, 2010, retrieved September 30, 2010.
- Web. MJH-Sentara merger a sign of the times, McGregor McCance, Daily Progress, World Media Enterprises, retrieved October 18, 2010.
- Web. Martha Jefferson addresses merger concerns, Chiara Canzi, C-VILLE Weekly, Portico Publications, March 29, 2011, retrieved March 29, 2011. Print. March 29, 2011 .
- E-mail. Jenn Downs, Communications Advisor, Sentara Martha Jefferson Hospital. "Sentara Martha Jefferson Hospital." Message to Charlottesville Tomorrow. 9 Sept. 2015.
- "Charlottesville : Architectural Design Control District and Individually Protected Property Information." Charlottesville : Home. Web. 16 Aug. 2010. <http://www.charlottesville.org/Index.aspx?page=812>.
- "Martha Jefferson announces location’s opening day." Daily Progress [Charlottesville] 29 Mar. 2010: n. pag. Daily Progress. Web. 31 Mar. 2010.
- Web. Done deal: Martha Jefferson facility sold, Rachana Dixit, Daily Progress, World Media Enterprises, September 23, 2010, retrieved September 23, 2010.
- Web. Martha Jefferson Hospital Announces Sale of Locust Avenue Property, Martha Jefferson Hospital, Charlottesville, VA, September 23, 2010, retrieved September 24, 2010.
- Web. Martha Jefferson Downtown location sold to local developer, Chiara Canzi, C-VILLE Weekly, Portico Publications, retrieved September 28, 2010.
- Web. CFA to Break Ground in April at Old Martha Jefferson Hospital, Ed Sykes, NBC29, February 27, 2012, retrieved February 28, 2012.
- Canzi, Chiara. "C-Ville: Development - Martha Jefferson Hospital Looks for New Developer." C-VILLE Charlottesville's News & Arts Weekly | Charlottesville VA News Music Culture Dining. 20 Apr. 2010. Web. 20 Apr. 2010. <http://www.c-ville.com/index.php?cat=141404064435450&ShowArticle_ID=11801904102913158>.
- Dixit, Rachana. "Party Eyeing Downtown Martha Jefferson Site | Daily Progress." Home | Daily Progress. 14 Aug. 2010. Web. 16 Aug. 2010. <http://www2.dailyprogress.com/news/2010/aug/14/party-eyeing-downtown-martha-jefferson-site-ar-426711/>.
- Web. CB Richard Ellis - MJHDowntown Portfolio, retrieved February 23, 2011.