|This is a featured article. Learn more about Charlottesville's 250th Anniversary in cvillepedia.|
|This article is a stub. You can help cvillepedia by expanding it.|
The Maplewood Cemetery was established as the town of Charlottesville's first official resting place for the dead in 1827. However, its oldest grave marker is from 1777, which suggests that some graves may have been moved to Maplewood after the cemetery was opened.  The cemetery is a few blocks north of downtown, with the main entrance gate at 425 Maple Street. The 3.6 acre historic burial ground is bordered by Maple Street, Lexington Avenue, Taylor Street and 8th Street NE. The land is owned and maintained by the city of Charlottesville. Among the burials at Maplewood are scores of noteworthy citizens who left their mark on the city. In addition, there are over 100 unmarked graves of civil war soldiers. 
Historical figures buried here include the following:
- Paul Goodloe McIntire
- Brigadier General John Marshall Jones
- Brigadier General Armistead Lindsay Long
- Colonel John Bowie Strange
- Fairfax Taylor
- James T. S. Taylor
- Benjamin Franklin Ficklin
- Edward M. Magruder 
- "Charlottesville : Maplewood Cemetery." Charlottesville : Home. Web. 20 Apr. 2010. <http://www.charlottesville.org/Index.aspx?page=1566>.
- Web. Funeral Rites for Dr. E.M. Magruder, Staff Reports, Daily Progress Digitized Microfilm, Lindsay family, January 13, 1925, retrieved May 12, 2016 from University of Virginia Library. Print. January 13, 1925 page 1.
- Web. Buried in Maplewood, Staff Reports, Daily Progress Digitized Microfilm, Lindsay family, August 9, 1918, retrieved August 9, 2016 from University of Virginia Library. Print. August 9, 1919 page 1.