List of statues, monuments, and war memorials

From Cvillepedia
Jump to: navigation, search

The following derives from a list of public sculptures maintained by the Albemarle Charlottesville Historical Society. It omits exhibits by Art In Place, which are usually temporary. It also omits memorials in cemeteries unless independently notable as works of art.

Name Artist Date erected Place Description
Confederate Memorial Casper Buberl, George Julian Zolney 1893 University of Virginia Cemetery Effigy of bareheaded soldier standing on pedestal holding musket with fixed bayonet; bronze tablets naming 1,097 Civil War dead, most of whom died of wounds or illness in Charlottesville hospitals and are buried in cemetery.[1]
Confederate Monument ? 1909 Court Square, 5t St. and Jefferson Confederate soldier leaning on musket facing south; inscriptions about valor; titled “At the Ready” a generic bronze typical of those mass-produced and posted on court squares all across the South. The sculptor is unknown. Flanked by two bronze smoothbore 12-pounder Napoleons, and cannonballs
Thomas Jonathan Jackson Charles Keck (1875-1951) 1921 Jackson park, 4th St. and Jefferson General Jackson mounted on his horse Little Sorrel; granite pedestal with sculpted figures representing Valor and Faith; names of battles, donated to the city with the surrounding park specifically as a site for the statue by Paul Goodloe McIntire
The Aviator Gutzon Borglum (1867-1941) 1919 U VA Grounds between Alderman and Clemons libraries bronze life sized male nude figure of Icarus about to take flight, commissioned in honor of University alumnus, James Rogers McConnell’s courage in World War I as a member of the Lafayette Escadrille. He was shot down and killed in 1917. The sculptor Borglum is better known for a larger work -- Mount Rushmore.
Thomas Jefferson Alexander Galt (1827-1863) 1868 Rotunda interior Thomas Jefferson executed in white marble; students rescued the 1,000 pound sculpture from the blazing Rotunda during the fire of 1895 by dragging it downstairs on a mattress
Thomas Jefferson Moses Jacob Ezekial (1844-1917) 1910 UVA Rotunda north side Thomas Jefferson standing on a liberty bell, surrounded by four allegorical figures in high relief: Liberty, Equality, Brotherhood and Justice. Not the original, a recasting of a 1901 statue executed for the city of Louisville; the sculptor Moses Ezekial was one of the VMI Keydets who fought at New Market
Thomas Jefferson Karl Bitter (1867-1915) 1915 UVA West lawn, south of Pavilion IX Jefferson seated, in a boxwood niche
Thomas Jefferson Lloyd Lillie (1932 - ) 1978 UVA north grounds between law school and school of commerce Jefferson standing, the most recent statue of Jefferson at the University, the artist was a professor of art at Boston University.
George Rodgers Clark Robert Ingersoll Aitken (1878-1949) 1921 Intersection of Jefferson Park Avenue and Main streets Donated by Paul Goodloe Mcintyre to the University of Virginia; listed in the Virginia Landmarks Register and National Register of Historic Places
Lewis & Clark (and Sacagewea) Charles Keck 1918 Intersection of Ridge Street and Main streets Donated by Paul Goodloe Mcintire to the city, to face west on the colonial Three Chopt Road. The design originally showed only Lewis and Clark but Keck on his own initiative included the figure of Shoshone guide Sacagewea (and called her "the best of the lot"). Reliefs surrounding the statue show scenes from the expedition, including a depiction of the slave York. In 2009 the city added a bronze plaque explaining that Sacagawea is pathfinding, not crouching in subservience.
George Washington Jean-Antoine Houdon (1741-1828) 1913 U Va East Lawn, South of Pavillion X One of 33 bronze copies made of a 1796 original in marble commissioned by Thomas Jefferson from Houdon; the original now stands in the Virginia capital in Richmond
Homer Moses Jacob Ezekial (1844-1917) 1907 U Va South end of Lawn in front of Cabell Hall seated blind Homer with nude young man seated at his feet playing a lyre, said to be his guide
Robert Edward Lee Leo Lentelli ((1879-1961) 1924 Lee Park, Market St. between 2nd and 3rd General Lee seated on his horse Traveller, donated to the city with the surrounding park specifically as a site for the statue by Paul Goodloe McIntire. Henry Shrady began the work but died before it could be completed; Lentelli took over. The City of Charlottesville recently attempted to remove this Monument, but litigation has (so far at least) preserved it with a temporary injunction.
St. Thomas Aquinas Henry Mascotte 1980's St. Thomas Aquinas Church St. Thomas Aquuinas seated with hands resting on knees, steel modern sculpture made of welded automobile bumpers on a concrete base, commissioned by Father Thomas Stickle, pastor of St. Thomas in the early 1980s.
Paul Goodloe McIntire  ?  ? Albemarle Charlotesville Historical society garden bust of philanthropist Paul Goodloe McIntire, who made many gifts to Charlottesville including its public library, five public parks, and three monumental statues, and scholarships and buildings to local schools and to the University of Virginia, giving away a great deal of his considerable fortune. The historical society building bears his name.
Fountain restored 2004  ? Jefferson Street, east end bronze watering fountain fed through four fish-like features to an upper bowl for citizens and their horses, and overflow fills a lower trough for dogs. Removed from in front of the courthouse on Jefferson Street in 1926, but restored through the efforts of the Charlottesville Volunteer Fire Company and the City of Charlottesville in 2004

References

  1. After the Civil War a group of Charlottesville women, most of whom had cared for sick and wounded soldiers, started the Ladies Confederate Memorial Association to care for graves in the cemetary. On June 7, 1893 the Association unveiled the statue of the Confederate soldier. From: Set in Stone, David Maurer, Virginia Magazine, Spring 2008, accessed April 13, 2016.

External links