Councilor Julian Taliaferro (D-At Large)
Charlottesville City Council
|Term Start||July 1, 2006|
|Term End||Dec. 31, 2009|
|Date of birth|| Jan. 20, 1941
|Alma mater|| Piedmont Community College
J. Sargeant Reynolds Community College
National Fire Academy
|Profession||Retired Fire Chief|
Julian Taliaferro is a former Charlottesville City Councilor and former city fire chief.
Taliaferro has been a resident of Charlottesville since 1962, when he began his career with the Charlottesville Fire Department. His fire service career was interrupted in 1966 when he entered the U.S. Army and was sent to Vietnam. He received the Purple Heart and Bronze Star medals for action in the Tet Offensive during 1968.
Taliaferro served as Fire Chief for almost 34 years. He played a major role is getting the fire department internationally accredited with the Center for Public Safety Excellence in 2001 as one of 121 departments in the world to achieve this designation.
Taliaferro retired in 2005, but still holds the position of Fire Chief Emeritus.
Taliaferro is married to Patricia Taliaferro and has two grown children. Julian Taliaferro is a former member of Charlottesville City Council and a former Vice Mayor who served from 2006 to 2009. Taliaferro is also a former chief of the Charlottesville Fire Department.
Taliaferro announced his candidacy in late January 2006. 
|David M. "Dave" Norris (D)||3,947||38.65|
|Julian H. Taliaferro (D)||3,745||36.67|
|Robert S. Schilling (R) incumbent||2,460||24.09|
|Source: Virginia State Board of Elections|
Voters could cast two votes, one for each of the two seats available, hence the percentages do not total 100%.
|Candidate Profile Resources|
|Candidate||Julian Taliaferro (D) - Challenger * Winner|
|Office||Charlottesville City Council|
|Election year||2006 election|
|Candidate interviews by Charlottesville Tomorrow|
|Candidate interview transcript|
|Candidate interview audio|
The media player is loading...
Taliaferro was one of three candidates who sought nomination to one of two slots on the Democratic Party's ticket. He announced his nomination for a second term on March 9, 2009. After a brief campaign, the Democrats opted that year to hold an "unassembled caucus" on May 9, 2009 to determine a nominee. Taliaferro came in third in the balloting behind incumbent City Councilor Dave Norris and challenger Kristin Szakos.
- AAS Degree Business Management, Piedmont Community College;
- AAS Degree Fire Science, J. Sargeant Reynolds Community College;
- Graduate of the Executive Fire Officer Program, National Fire Academy.
- 2006 Voters' Guide, Charlottesville Tomorrow.
- Web. Julian Taliaferro Announces for City Council, Brian Wheeler, Charlottesville Tomorrow, January 30, 2006, retrieved May 21, 2015.
- Local Election - May 2, 2006 State Board of Elections. retrieved 5 Jul 2009.
- Julian Taliaferro announces campaign for re-election to City Council Nairn, Daniel, and Brian A. Wheeler, Charlottesville Tomorrow News Center. Charlottesville Tomorrow, 9 Mar. 2009. Web. 10 Aug. 2009.
- "Charlottesville Democrats nominate Norris and Szakos for City Council" Charlottesville Tomorrow News Center. Charlottesville Tomorrow, 9 May 2009. Web. 10 Aug. 2009.
|Charlottesville City Council, 2008-2010|
|Members||David Brown | Satyendra Huja | Holly Edwards|
|See also||List of City Councilors | Recent City Council elections|