James C. Norwood
|James C. Norwood|
Error creating thumbnail: File with dimensions greater than 12.5 MP
Albemarle Board of Supervisors
|Election||Nov. 8, 2011|
|For term to start||2012|
|Date of birth|| April 29, 1944
|Alma mater||University of New England|
James C. Norwood was the Director of Economic Development for the Scottsville Community Chamber of Commerce. In 2011 he was the Republican candidate for the Scottsville seat on the Albemarle County Board of Supervisors, an election he lost to Democratic candidate Christopher J. Dumler.
Norwood served in the U.S. Navy during the Vietnam conflict.
Norwood owned Scottsville restaurant Jimmy's on the James, which closed in 2003 after less than a year of operation.
Norwood founded Norwood Shoes in 1997, after a career at other shoe companies. Norwood Shoes operated four retail stores at its height before shuttering in 2009, a closure that resulted in Norwood filing for Chapter 7 bankruptcy.
2011 election for Board of Supervisors
|Christopher J. Dumler (D) (winner)||2,007||53.96|
|James C. Norwood (R)||1,708||45.92|
|Source: State Board of Elections|
In the 2011 election, Norwood ran as a Republican candidate for the Albemarle Board of Supervisors for the Scottsville District seat being vacated by retiring Lindsay Dorrier. His opponent was Scottsville Attorney, Christopher J. Dumler. He has called for the extension of Charlottesville Area Transit to Scottsville and for redeveloping the abandoned Scottsville tire factory as a center for jobs. 
However, he was defeated by Dumler. 
|Candidate Profile Resources|
|Candidate||James C. Norwood (R) - Challenger|
|Office||Albemarle Board of Supervisors, Scottsville District|
|Election year||2011 election|
|Candidate interviews by Charlottesville Tomorrow|
|Candidate interview transcript|
|Candidate interview audio|
The media player is loading...
- Web. Retired business owner announces candidacy for Scottsville district, Sean Tubbs, Charlottesville Tomorrow News Center, Charlottesville Tomorrow, Charlottesville, 3 June 2011, retrieved 7 June 2011.
- Web. Boyd turns back Neff; Dumler wins in Scottsville, Aaron Richardson, Daily Progress, World Media Enterprises, November 8, 2011, retrieved November 8, 2011.
- Web. THE DISH: Curse of Valley Street? Jimmy's on the James succumbs, "The Disher", The Hook, Better Publications LLC, January 9, 2003, retrieved 1 Nov 2011.
- Web. Albemarle's Norwood, supervisor hopeful, filed for bankruptcy in '09, Aaron Richardson, Daily Progress, World Media Enterprises, October 29, 2011
- Web. Response to a Letter to the Editor, Bebe Williams, Scottsville Weekly, 19 Aug 2011, retrieved 18 October 2011.
- Web. My County/City>Albemarle County, Virginia State Board of Elections, retrieved 29 Nov. 2011.
- Web. Norwood Calls to Extend CAT Service to Scottsville, Matt Talhelm, NBC 29, August 9, 2011, retrieved August 19, 2011.
- Web. Supervisor candidate unveils jobs plan, Daily Progress, World Media Enterprises, September 7, 2011, retrieved September 9, 2011.