Greer Elementary School
|This school article is a stub. You can help cvillepedia by expanding it.|
Mary Carr Greer Elementary School is an Albemarle County public elementary school that teaches students from pre-K through fifth grade and is part of the county's Northern Feeder Pattern. From Greer Elementary students will continue on to Jack Jouett Middle School and graduate from Albemarle High School. As of 2012, Greer has 437 students enrolled under 80 faculty and staff members.
Greer Elementary School was founded in 1974 and named for Mary Louise Carr-Greer, a tireless educator and education innovator. Since its opening, Greer Elementary has continued to expand and in 2012 underwent a $3 million renovation, adding six classrooms as well as an art studio and an outdoor classroom.
No Child Left Behind
Since 2007, Greer Elementary has been designated as an "improvement" school for its failure to achieve Adequate Yearly Progress under No Child Left Behind qualifications. According to school officials, much of this is due to a disproportionately high degree of cultural diversity and large number of English as Second Language students. These conditions have driven Principal Robyn Bolling to implement unique strategies, including administering assessments of student learning almost daily.
The current principal is Robyn Bolling.
The following is a list of people who have served as principal
|2012 - present||Robyn Bolling|
|2007 - 2012||Matthew Landahl|
|2004 - 2007||Kim Cousins|
|2000 - 2004||Steve Braintwain|
|1974 - 2000||Fulton Marshall|
Safe routes to school
The county is planning on upgrading sidewalks in the area by applying for a Safe Routes to School grant from the federal government. A travel plan has been created by the Alliance for Community Choice in Transportation with collaboration from county officials. The plan consists of several projects to be considered and approved by VDOT before the county can seek federal funding.
Mary Carr Greer Elementary School is located at 190 Lambs Lane
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Web. Mary Carr Greer Elementary School Fact Sheet, County of Albemarle, retrieved May 30, 2012.
- ↑ Web. School History, Mary Carr Greer Elementary, retrieved May 30, 2012.
- ↑ Web. Work on school facilities winding down in Albemarle, Charlottesville, Megan E. Davis, Daily Progress, August 5, 2012, retrieved August 6, 2012.
- ↑ Web. New principal at Greer has her work cut out for her, Megan E. Davis, Daily Progress, World Media Enterprises, August 18, 2012, retrieved August 20, 2012. Print. August 19, 2012 page A1.
- ↑ Web. Principals Named for Hollymead, Greer Elementary Schools, County of Albemarle, June 5, 2012, retrieved June 6, 2012.
- ↑ Web. Safe Routes to School Travel Plan - Greer Elementary and Jouett Middle, retrieved June 6, 2012.
- ↑ Web. Routes to Greer Elementary, Jouett Middle School to get safer, Ian M. Lamb, Charlottesville Tomorrow, June 24, 2012, retrieved July 12, 2012.