Designated Growth Area
The Albemarle County Comprehensive Plan calls for the division of the county into two categories: areas designated for development and areas that are rural in nature. The Designated Growth Area comprises five percent of the county and is largely clustered in the urban ring around Charlottesville. However, other pockets of development area outside the urban ring include Crozet and the Village of Rivanna. Albemarle County's Land Use Plan, a section of the County's Comprehensive Plan, designates 35 square miles of the County as Development Areas.
The development of the designated growth areas is to be shepherded by the creation of Master Plans. Currently, the County has only adopted master plans for Crozet and the Pantops area. The master plan for the Village of Rivanna is underway, though a master plan for the Southern urban area will not begin until 2010.
The goals of the establishing the growth areas are:
- Accommodate new growth in the county within the development areas.
- Encourage greater utilization of land in designated development areas by achieving higher gross densities for residential and non-residential development than in the past.
- Encourage infill development of vacant lands and development of under-used areas within the designated development areas.
- Development areas shall not encroach into water supply watersheds, except for the Crozet community, that shall not be expanded beyond the watershed boundary of the Lickinghole Creek detention basin.
- Avoid development of "Significant Areas" as designated in the Open Space Plan.
- Discourage extensive linear-style development along major roads.
- All development areas shall be served by public sewer and water.
- Plan for a system of transportation and community facilities and services that support and enhance the Development Areas.
List of Designated Growth Areas
- Community of Hollymead
- Community of Piney Mountain
- Village of Rivanna
- Neighborhood 1 - Route 29 North Corridor (West side)
- Neighborhood 2 - Route 29 North Corridor (East side)
- Neighborhood 3 - Pantops
- Neighborhood 4 - Southern urban area - Route 20
- Neighborhood 5 - Southern urban area - Old Lynchburg Road
- Neighborhood 6 - Bellair, Ednam, Buckingham Circle
- Neighborhood 7 - Farmington, Barracks Road