The Daily Progress (often referred to as "the Progress") is the area's only daily newspaper. It is owned as a unit of Berkshire Hathaway.
The first issue of the newspaper was published on September 14, 1892 by James Hubert Lindsay & Frank Lindsay. The brothers printed 200 copies on a used Campbell flatbed press at 112 Fourth Street, NE. James Lindsay was the newspaper's founder and publisher.
|This article is a stub. You can help cvillepedia by expanding it.|
Around the 1930s, the Progress offered two newspapers, one catering toward white readers and the other aimed at blacks. It is unclear when this practice ended.
In 1960, the management and department heads began visiting newspaper plants in order to plan for the paper's long-term future. 
In October 2, 1975, the paper helped break a strike by The Washington Post pressmen by printing 100,000 copies. 
Sale to Media General
Partnership with Charlottesville Tomorrow
Sale to Berkshire Hathaway
On May 17, 2012 Media General, Inc. announced signed agreements with Berkshire Hathaway, Inc., whereby a subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway, BH Media Group, will purchase newspapers owned by Media General, including the Progress.
Albemarle County Reporters
- Michael C. Bragg (2016)
- Reynolds Hutchins
- Aaron Richardson (June 2011-March 2013) - Now city reporter
- Brandon Shulleeta (July 2008-May 2011)
- Jeremy Borden (September 2006-June 2008)
- Jessica Kitchin (2005-August 2006)
City of Charlottesville Reporters
- Chris Suarez
- Aaron Richardson (March 2013-Present) - Previously County reporter
- Graham Moomaw (February 2011-January 2013)
- Rachana Dixit (July 2008-December 2010)
- Seth Rosen (February 2007-June 2008)
- Liana Bayne, Public Safety Reporter (June 2013-present)
- Samantha Koon (October 2011-Present)
- Aaron Richardson
- Brian McNeil, Politics/Business Reporter
- Julie Stavitski (Covered education around 2005)
- Brian Root (Business reporter in 1998)
- Kimberly O'Brien (city reporter active in 1998)
- Beverley Allison (1968)
- Mike Lantrip (1968)
- Eleanor Berry (1968)
- Chris Cramer, Sports Columnist (1968)
- Rob Jiranek, Publisher
- Wes Bester, incoming managing editor
- Anita Shelburne, Editorial Page Editor
- Lawrence McConnell, Former Publisher
- Lee Wolverton, Managing Editor
- McGregor McCance, Managing Editor ( - May 4 2012)
- Lou Hatter
- Lindsey B. Mount
- Edward Allen Cleaton (appointed August 1934) 
- Nick Mathews, Managing Editor (2015-2016)
- Web. Yesteryears: James H. Lindsay, David A. Maurer, Daily Progress, World Media Enterprises, retrieved 29 Jan 2012.
- Web. Charlottesville Hits Air With A Bang; Thousands Hear, Staff Reports, Daily Progress Digitized Microfilm, Lindsay family, May 30, 1927, retrieved May 30, 2016 from University of Virginia Library.
- Web. Reflecting the Past: New African-American newspaper dusts off a 70-year mission, C-VILLE Weekly, Portico Publications, retrieved December 2, 2011. Print. September 16, 2003 , 15.37, .
- Print: Future Plans for Progress Being Made, Staff reports, Daily Progress, Lindsay family January 12, 1960, Page 11.
- Print: The Seventies: Central Virginia Ends Decade of Joy and Tragedy, Doug Kamholz, Daily Progress, Worrell Newspaper group January 1, 1980, Page A6.
- Web. Weschler's world: Berkshire Hathaway buys 'Daily Progress', Lisa Provence, The Hook, Better Publications LLC, May 17 2012
- Partners: Progress hooks up with growth-watchers, Lisa Provence, The Hook, August 30 2009
- Web. Media General Announces Agreements with Berkshire Hathaway for Purchase of Newspapers and New Financing, Press release, Media General, May 17, 2012
- Web. Berkshire Hathaway will purchase Media General newspapers, including Daily Progress, staff report, C-VILLE Weekly, Portico Publications, May 17, 2012
- Web. Community rallies around closing Batesville Store, Aaron Richardson, Daily Progress, World Media Enterprises, 13 June 2011, retrieved 13 June 2011.
- Web. Special thanks to Jessica Kitchin, Daily Progress, Brian Wheeler, Charlottesville Tomorrow News Center, Charlottesville Tomorrow, 4 Aug. 2006, retrieved 23 Feb. 2011.
- Web. City's Edwards won't run for re-election, Graham Moomaw, Daily Progress, World Media Enterprises, 21 Feb. 2011, retrieved 23 Feb. 2011.
- Web. Albemarle looking at million dollar shortfall, Samantha Koon, Daily Progress, World Media Enterprises, 4 October 2011, retrieved 4 October 2011.
- Web. Progress editor departing for UVa post, Staff reports, Daily Progress, World Media Enterprises, May 3 2012
- Web. Lou Hatter, Linked In, retrieved May 18, 2012.
- Web. The Daily Progress Appoints Allen Clayton Managing Editor, Staff Reports, Daily Progress Digitized Microfilm, Lindsay family, August 8, 1933, retrieved August 9, 2016 from University of Virginia Library. Print. August 8, 1933 page 1.
|Daily Progress's twitter feed (not written by cvillepedia contributors):|