Help cvillepedia by improving this article with information about Daily Progress from wikipedia.
|This article is a stub. You can help cvillepedia by expanding it.|
The Daily Progress (often referred to as "the Progress") is the area's only daily newspaper. It is owned by Richmond-based media conglomerate Media General, but is under contract to be sold to a unit of Berkshire Hathaway on June 25 2012.
The first issue of the newspaper was published on September 14, 1892 by James Hubert Lindsay & Frank Lindsay. The brothers printed 200 copies on a used Campbell flatbed press at 112 Fourth Street, NE. James Lindsay was the newspaper's founder and publisher.
Around the 1930s, the Progress offered two newspapers, one catering toward white readers and the other aimed at blacks. It is unclear when this practice ended.
Sale to Media General
Partnership with Charlottesville Tomorrow
Sale to Berkshire Hathaway
On May 17, 2012 Media General, Inc. announced signed agreements with Berkshire Hathaway, Inc., whereby a subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway, BH Media Group, will purchase newspapers owned by Media General, including the Progress.
Albemarle County Reporters
- Reynolds Hutchins
- Aaron Richardson (June 2011-March 2013) - Now city reporter
- Brandon Shulleeta (July 2008-May 2011)
- Jeremy Borden (September 2006-June 2008)
- Jessica Kitchin (2005-August 2006)
City of Charlottesville Reporters
- Aaron Richardson (March 2013-Present) - Previously County reporter
- Graham Moomaw (February 2011-January 2013)
- Rachana Dixit (July 2008-December 2010)
- Seth Rosen (February 2007-June 2008)
- Samantha Koon (October 2011-Present)
- Brian McNeil, Politics/Business Reporter
- Julie Stavitski (Covered education around 2005)
- Lawrence McConnell, Publisher
- Lee Wolverton, Managing Editor
- Anita Shelburne, Editorial Page Editor
- ↑ Web. Yesteryears: James H. Lindsay, David A. Naurer, Daily Progress, World Media Enterprises, retrieved 29 Jan 2012.
- ↑ Web. Reflecting the Past: New African-American newspaper dusts off a 70-year mission, C-VILLE Weekly, Portico Publications, retrieved December 2, 2011. Print. September 16, 2003 , 15.37, .
- ↑ Web. Weschler's world: Berkshire Hathaway buys 'Daily Progress', Lisa Provence, The Hook, Better Publications LLC, May 17 2012
- ↑ Partners: Progress hooks up with growth-watchers, Lisa Provence, The Hook, August 30 2009
- ↑ Web. Media General Announces Agreements with Berkshire Hathaway for Purchase of Newspapers and New Financing, Press release, Media General, May 17, 2012
- ↑ Web. Berkshire Hathaway will purchase Media General newspapers, including Daily Progress, staff report, C-VILLE Weekly, Portico Publications, May 17, 2012
- ↑ Web. Community rallies around closing Batesville Store, Aaron Richardson, Daily Progress, World Media Enterprises, 13 June 2011, retrieved 13 June 2011.
- ↑ Web. Special thanks to Jessica Kitchin, Daily Progress, Brian Wheeler, Charlottesville Tomorrow News Center, Charlottesville Tomorrow, 4 Aug. 2006, retrieved 23 Feb. 2011.
- ↑ Web. City's Edwards won't run for re-election, Graham Moomaw, Daily Progress, World Media Enterprises, 21 Feb. 2011, retrieved 23 Feb. 2011.
- ↑ Web. Albemarle looking at million dollar shortfall, Samantha Koon, Daily Progress, World Media Enterprises, 4 October 2011, retrieved 4 October 2011.
- ↑ Web. Progress editor departing for UVa post, Staff reports, Daily Progress, World Media Enterprises, May 3 2012
|Daily Progress's twitter feed (not written by cvillepedia contributors):|