The City Manager is the Chief Administrative Officer for the City of Charlottesville and is responsible for implementing City Council's policies and priorities. Maurice Jones was elevated to the position on December 3, 2010 after serving as both acting city manager and assistant city manager.
|This article is a stub. You can help cvillepedia by expanding it.|
The city manager form of government dates back to September 1, 1922. Three councilors were elected that year followed by two more in 1923.  Prior to that, Charlottesville had a strong-mayor form of government with a bicameral legislature consisting of a Board of Alderman and a Common Council. 
However the position of city manager was created in 1913. 
2010 Search for a new manager
Gary O'Connell stepped down as city manager in April 2010. After a search, three finalists were named including Jones. The other two candidates are East Providence Rhode Island City Manager Richard Brown and Columbia Missouri Assistant City Manager Paula Hertwig Hopkins.
City Managers of the City of Charlottesville
|Hubert A. Stecker||1917|
|James E. Bowen||1948-|
|Gary B. O'Connell||1995-2010|
Former City Managers
- Hubert A. Stecker - appointed in 1917
- W. Washabaugh - 1922 
- Boyd Bennett
- Seth Burnley - Left in June 1948 to become city manager of Staunton
- James E. Bowen - Appointed in June 1948  Left in December 1970 
- Cole Hendrix - Appointed in December 1970 
- Gary O'Connell
- Print: McCue Bill Would Alter Election of Councilmen, Don Devore, Daily Progress, Lindsay family January 23, 1960, Page .
- Print: Burrows Proposes New Bill for Vote on Annexation, , Daily Progress, Lindsay family February , 1960, Page .
- Web. The American City, Volume 17, December 1917, retrieved June 8, 2016 from Google Books.
- Web. New C'Ville City Manager Picked, NBC 29, retrieved November 23, 2010.
- Web. Financial Needs of Departments, Staff Reports, Daily Progress Digitized Microfilm, Lindsay family, August 8, 1922, retrieved August 7, 2016 from University of Virginia Library. Print. August 8, 1922 page 2.
- Web. Bowen is Named Acting Manager by City Council, Staff Reports, Daily Progress Digitized Microfilm, Lindsay family, June 1, 1948, retrieved October 14, 2017 from University of Virginia Library. Print. June 1, 1948 page 1.
- Web. 1970-12-21, J.S. Rush, Jr., City of Charlottesville, Charlottesville, VA, December 21, 1970, retrieved Feburary 13, 2018.
- Web. 1970-12-31, J.S. Rush, Jr., City of Charlottesville, Charlottesville, VA, December 31, 1970, retrieved Feburary 13, 2018.