The Charlottesville Newsplex is a common branding used for the CBS, ABC and FOX television affiliates in Charlottesville, owned and operated by Gray Television. WCAV-TV (CBS19) is the flagship station.
The Newsplex was founded in 2004. WCAV first broadcast on August 15, 2004, becoming the area's first CBS affiliate and the first local competition to the established NBC affiliate, WVIR-NBC29. Charlottesville previously received CBS from Richmond and Washington D.C. Shortly after the launch of WCAV on channel 19, owner Gray Television began broadcasting ABC affiliate WVAW-LP (ABC16) on channel 16. In early 2005, WCAV-TV and WVAW-LP were joined on-air by FOX affiliate WAUH-CA (FOX27) on channel 27.
On September 21, 2008, WCAV launched a channel dedicated to weather on its second digital subchannel. Known on-air as "CBS19 Weather Now", it was added to Comcast digital channel 209 in December. Programming consists of local weather updates and national weather forecasts. Its broadcasts have been digital-only since February 16, 2009.
Newsplex in the community
WCAV has received the following awards from the Virginia Association of Broadcasters (VAB):
In 2006, WCAV received runner-up for "Outstanding News Operation".
In 2008, WCAV won "Outstanding Sports Coverage" for a commercial television station, and the station's website finished runner up for "outstanding website".
In 2009, WCAV won "Best Commercial" for a commercial television station, and runner-up for "Outstanding Sports Coverage" for a commercial television station.
- Good Morning Charlottesville - weekdays, 5-7 a.m. (simulcast on WVAW; second hour on WAHU at 7 a.m.)
- CBS19 News at Noon - weekdays
- CBS19 News at 5 - weekdays (simulcast on WVAW)
- CBS19 News at 6 - weekdays (simulcast on WVAW)
- CBS19 News at 11 - weekdays and weekends (weekday newscasts simulcast on WVAW)
- CBS19 News At 10 - weekdays and weekends
- Tyler Hawn - weekends at 10 and 11 p.m.; also reporter
- Rarione Maniece - weekday mornings; also producer
- Dan Schutte - weeknights at 6, 10 and 11 p.m.
- Bo Sykes - weekday mornings and noon
- Tara Wheeler - weeknights at 5, 6 and 11 p.m.
- Ric Young - weeknights at 5 p.m.; also reporter
- Travis Koshko (NWA Seal of Approval) - chief meteorologist; weekday mornings and noon
- David Reese - weeknights at 5, 6, 10 and 11 p.m.
- Jack Durkin - weekend evenings; also reporter
- Damon Dillman - sports director; weeknights at 6, 10 and 11 p.m.
- Zach Francis - sports anchor; weekend evenings, also sports reporter
- Preston Willett - sports anchor; weekend evenings, also sports reporter
- Brianna Hamblin
- Desiree Montilla
- Laura Perrot
- Courteney Stuart
- Val Thompson
- TV station, bank extend life of fireworks, Staff report, Daily Progress, 14 July 2009.
- The Charlottesville Newsplex will fund Fourth of July fireworks, Caitlin Speaker, C-Ville Weekly July 14 2009.
- Winners of the 71st Annual Virginia Broadcasting Awards Announced, Virginia Association of Broadcasters, June 30, 2008, retrieved 5 Aug 2009.
- 72nd Annual Summer Convention Award Winners Announced, Virginia Association of Broadcasters, July 2 2009, retrieved 5 Aug 2009.