Main Street Arena
The Main Street Arena, formerly the Charlottesville Ice Park, is an ice rink and multi-use facility that anchors the west end of Charlottesville's Downtown Mall. The facility has been operated as a multi-use skating, indoor sports, and special events venue called the Main Street Arena since September 2010.
Construction of the facility was part of the Charlottesville 2000 initiative spearheaded by developer Lee Danielson. Faulconer Construction was hired to build the project, which opened in 1995. However, Faulconuer sued D&R Development in May 1996 claiming they had not been paid over $300,000. 
Owners Bruce Williamson and Roberta Williamson, ex-husband and wife, with two other partners, purchased the Ice Park in 2003 from Dorothy Rolph and Colin Rolph, who co-developed the project with his former partner Lee Danielson. In February 2010 Bruce Williamson announced plans to close the park in June, citing unexpected business losses. They closed the park on June 30, 2010.
However, soon after, the building was purchased by Mark Brown for $3 million. Brown immediately announced plans to convert the building into a multi-use facility called the Main Street Arena that could also house indoor athletic events and parties. The adjoining lobby space was converted into a sports bar. A private party was held on August 20, and skating resumed on September 14.
- Graff, Henry. "Charlottesville Ice Park Sold - NBC29." NBC29 - Home. 16 July 2010. Web. 26 Aug. 2010. <http://www.nbc29.com/Global/story.asp?S=12818992>.
- Web. BAR approves demolition of Main Street Arena, Escafe sites for innovation hub, Sean Tubbs, News Article, Charlottesville Tomorrow, April 18, 2017, retrieved May 9, 2017.
- Web. Main Street Arena Holds Final Farewell Party, Meghan Moriarity, News Article, WVIR NBC29, March 30, 2018, retrieved April 9, 2018.
- Web. Brawl on the mall, John Borgmeyer, C-VILLE Weekly, Portico Publications, June 7, 2003, retrieved May 13, 2018. Print. June 7, 2003 .
- Web. NEWS- Frozen assets: Ice Park changes hands, COURTENEY STUART, The Hook, Better Publications LLC, May 15, 2003, retrieved 1 Mar 2010.
- Web. Thin ice: Citing losses, owners to close skating rink, Hawes Spencer, The Hook, Better Publications LLC, Feb 27, 2010, retrieved 1 Mar 2010.
- "Ice Parks Final Day Announced | Charlottesville Daily Progress." Charlottesville Daily Progress. 21 Apr. 2010. Web. 22 Apr. 2010. <http://www2.dailyprogress.com/cdp/news/local/article/ice_parks_final_day_announced/55184/>
- Stuart, Courteney. "Heating Up: Renovations Underway at Rescued Ice Park | The Hook News Blog." The HooK - Charlottesville's Weekly Newspaper, News Magazine. 16 Aug. 2010. Web. 17 Aug. 2010. <http://www.readthehook.com/blog/index.php/2010/08/16/heating-up-renovations-underway-at-rescued-ice-park/>