Charlottesville's sister cities
Charlottesville has four sister cities:
- Poggio a Caiano, Italy, became Charlottesville's first sister city in 1976
- Pleven, Bulgaria (2004), and
- Besancon, France (2006), and
- Winneba, Ghana (2010)
|An article on Wikipedia has information about Sister Cities International in areas beyond Albemarle County's borders.|
To commemorate the four cities, the city considered building a clock. The item received a certificate of appropriateness from the Board of Architectural Review on March 15, 2011. However, the project died when the design that won a contest came with a $60,000 cost estimate. City Council had only set aside $25,000 for the project. The Sister Cities Commission decided against fundraising for the balance. 
- Web. Sister Cities Program, City of Charlottesville, retrieved 5 Oct 2009.
- Web. BAR Actions for March 15, 2011, Mary Joy Scala, City of Charlottesville, March 16, 2011, retrieved March 28, 2011.
- E-mail. Paige Barfield, City Council Clerk, City of Charlottesville. "sister cities clock?." Message to Sean Tubbs, Charlottesville Tomorrow. June 28, 2012.