Route 29/250 Bypass interchange improvements
|Route 29/250 Bypass interchange improvements|
Reconstruction with added capacity
The improvements are designed to improve the capacity of the intersection of U.S. 29 and U.S. 250. They are based on plans identified in the 29H250 study.
The project was initially being planned by the City of Charlottesville. They had accrued $4.2 million in state and federal funds to implement the plan, but they required more money to complete the design. 
In 2010, the MPO asked former Congressman Tom Perriello to secure a $517,000 earmark to pay for final design, but this was not successful. The city was also expected to receive $1 million from the developer Edens and Avant as a proffer from the Stonefield development.
In the spring of 2011, VDOT assumed control of the project, but the city continued to be the source of funding.  VDOT is currently updating traffic data and hopes the project can be complete by November 2014.  
In June 2012, the estimate for the project increased to $7.5 million following a redesign by VDOT. Plans designed by RK&K were unveiled to the public at a meeting on June 20, 2012. A second information meeting will be held in the fall of 2012. VDOT is hoping to advertise the project for bids in the fall of 2014 with construction in 2015. 
- September 2007: City Council authorizes $500,000 in city money to attain $1,000,000 in VDOT revenue sharing money 
- June 7, 2011: Council votes to send letter to VDOT asking them to assume control of project
- June 20, 2011: Public information meeting
- December 17, 2014: Fielder's Choice Enterprises is the lowest bidder at $11.1 million. 
- Web. VDOT shares preliminary design for ‘Best Buy Ramp’ project, Brian Wheeler, Charlottesville Tomorrow, June 20, 2012, retrieved June 25, 2012.
- Web. MPO adopts fast-tracked U.S. 29 projects, Sean Tubbs, Charlottesville Tomorrow, July 24, 2014, retrieved August 6, 2014.
- Web. MPO considers priorities for unallocated long-range plan funding, Sean Tubbs, Charlottesville Tomorrow, December 17, retrieved December 18, 2014.
- FY09-12 TRANSPORTATION IMPROVEMENT PROGRAM. Rep. Charlottesville-Albemarle Metropolitan Planning Organization. Web. 13 Oct. 2009. <http://www.tjpdc.org/pdf/TIP/FINAL_%20FY09%20TIP.pdf>
- Web. City expects 29/250 interchange improvements in 2014, Sean Tubbs, Charlottesville Tomorrow, March 21, 2011, retrieved March 21, 2011.
- Web. VDOT may assume control of U.S. 29/250 project, Sean Tubbs, June 11, 2011, retrieved June 10, 2011.
- Web. Charlottesville- Albemarle Metropolitan Planning Organization - September 12, 2011, Thomas Jefferson Planning District Commission, September 12, 2011, retrieved September 28, 2011.
- Web. Design work on U.S. 29 widening to start this summer, Sean Tubbs, Charlottesville Tomorrow, February 26, 2012, retrieved February 28, 2012.
- Web. City committee pans design for Best Buy ramp sound barriers, Sean Tubbs, Charlottesville Tomorrow, July 10, 2014, retrieved August 5, 2014.
- Web. City Council authorizes spending for 250/29 improvements, Sean Tubbs, Charlottesville Tomorrow, September 6, 2007, retrieved May 3, 2011.