Berkmar Drive Extended
|Berkmar Drive Extended|
Protect and enhance capacity of Rt. 29 North and provide a parallel alternate multimodal route for local traffic
|Next meeting||Location hearing September 18, 2014 at Doubletree Hotel|
Fully-funded by the Commonwealth Transportation Board
|Contact||Lou Hatter, VDOT spokesman|
|This Transportation-related article is a stub. You can help cvillepedia by expanding it.|
The road is called for in the Places29 Master Plan and would be a northward extension of Berkmar Drive over the South Fork of the Rivanna River to Town Center Drive. The Commonwealth Transportation Board awarded a contract to the Lane / Corman Joint Venture in February 2015. A notice to proceed was granted in March 2015.  However, the project is subject to a lawsuit.
The concept is to build a parallel road to U.S. 29 in order to provide more options to local traffic.
It will be built at the same time as the widening and the Rio Road interchange.
The project remained a concept and was listed for years in the MPO Policy Board's Transportation Improvement Program as an illustrative transportation project. That meant funding from the state or federal government was not likely for the foreseeable future. The project was expected to be built with contributions from the private sector. .
However, the project received new life when former VDOT Commissioner Philip Shucet recommended spending over a quarter of the $200 million in funds set aside for the Western Bypass. The Commonwealth Transportation Board approved $54 million in funding for the project at its meeting on June 18.  
A hearing to gather public input on a location was held on September 18, 2014 at the Doubletree Hotel.  Some community members are calling for the Berkmar extension to be somehow tied into Ashwood Boulevard to create more of an urban grid. 
- Web. Western Bypass funding eliminated; CTB supports other U.S. 29 projects, Sean Tubbs, Charlottesville Tomorrow, June 18, 2014, retrieved June 19, 2014.
- Web. [http://www.tjpdc.org//agendas_and_minutes/mpoPoli/age_mpoPoli_15_03_25.asp Charlottesville- Albemarle Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) Area Transportation Projects Project Status Matrix], Thomas Jefferson Planning District Commission, retrieved March 25, 2015.
- FY09-12 TRANSPORTATION IMPROVEMENT PROGRAM. Rep. Charlottesville-Albemarle Metropolitan Planning Organization. Web. 19 Oct. 2009. <http://www.tjpdc.org/pdf/TIP/FINAL_%20FY09%20TIP.pdf>
- Web. Recommendations unveiled for U.S. 29 congestion relief, Sean Tubbs, Charlottesville Tomorrow, May 8, 2014, retrieved May 19, 2014.
- Web. VDOT sets aggressive deadlines for Route 29 projects, Sean Tubbs, Charlottesville Tomorrow, July 25, 2014, retrieved July 27, 2014.
- Web. Public hearing on Berkmar Drive extension set for Sept. 18, Daily Progress Staff Reports, Daily Progress, World Media Enterprises, August 22, 2014, retrieved August 27, 2014.
- Web. Boyd walks out of meeting in protest, Sean Tubbs, Charlottesville Tomorrow, August 14, 2014, retrieved August 27, 2014.