The Albemarle Grocery Company opened for business at First Street and South Street on or about August 1, 1916. The wholesale grocery store's slogan was "quality and prompt delivery." 
The firm E.M. Parrish and Company of 104 Main Street built the three-story structure for a cost of $20,000. The building had a gravity pocket-chute, an electric elevator and heated with a steam boiler. 
- ↑ Print: , Staff Reports, Daily Progress, Lindsay family July 29, 1916, Page 1.
- ↑ Web. A Complete Structure, Staff Reports, Daily Progress Digitized Microfilm, Lindsay family, August 23, 1916, retrieved August 23, 2016 from University of Virginia Library. Print. August 23, 1916 page 1.