Albemarle County Board of Supervisors
left|thumb|Diantha McKeel, Liz Palmer and Brad Sheffield sworn in on Dec. 19, 2013The six-member Board of Supervisors ("the Supervisors", "the Board", or the "BoS") is the highest decision-making body in Albemarle County.
Each board member is elected from one of the county's six magisterial districts. Supervisors are elected for four-year terms, staggered at two-year intervals, so that only three Supervisors are up for re-election at any given time.
The next election is in November 2015.
The current members of the Board of Supervisors, serving terms 2015 or 2017, are:
- Jane Dittmar (Scottsville), Chairman
- Ken Boyd (Rivanna)
- Ann Mallek (White Hall)
- Diantha McKeel (Jack Jouett)
- Liz Palmer (Samuel Miller), Vice Chair
- Brad Sheffield (Rio)
This comprises four Democrats, one Republican, and one independent on the Board of Supervisors, a shift after the 2009 election.
- Main article: List of Albemarle Supervisors
The Chair presides over meetings, calls special meetings, and serves as the ceremonial head of government. The Vice Chair substitutes whenever the Chairman is unavailable. While the Chairman has no more power than any other Supervisor, the position carries with it the ability to set the agenda and conduct the public meetings.
Duties of the Board include:
- Approving the budget as prepared by staff.
|This list of duties is a stub. You can help cvillepedia by expanding it.|
Meetings and contact
With six members, there is frequently the possibility of a 3-3 stalemate. These have been dealt with in many ways. In May 1921, the board was temporarily down to 6 members following the death of James W. Early. A vote over a $500 appropriation resulted in a 3-3 tie which was resolved a month later by a court-appointed temporary replacement. In January 2013, the board opted not to pursue adding a seventh member.
Party affiliations on the Board
- Board of Supervisors official site
- Minutes of Board of Supervisors meetings
- Actions taken at Board meetings
- County's budget.
|An article on Wikipedia has information about Boards of Supervisors in areas beyond Albemarle County's borders.|
- Albemarle County Board of Supervisors Minutes, 8 Oct. 2008. County of Albemarle. Retrieved 8 Jun. 2010.
- Albemarle County. Albemarle County Code. Section 2-202. Web. 16 June 2010. <http://www.albemarle.org/upload/images/Forms_Center/Departments/County_Attorney/Forms/Albemarle_County_Code_Ch02_Administration.pdf>.
- Web. AUDIO PODCAST CENTER, ALBEMARLE COUNTY BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
- Web. Albemarle seeks partnerships for video streaming government meetings, Charlottesville Tomorrow, February 6, 2014, retrieved February 12, 2014.
- Web. Albemarle County Board of Supervisors minutes for June 15, 1921, County of Albemarle, retrieved December 7, 2011.
- Web. Albemarle chairmanship vote stalls for third year, Aaron Richardson, Daily Progress, World Media Enterprises, 9 Jan 2013, retrieved 10 July 2013.
- Courtney Miller. 15 May 1999. Daily Progress. 19 May 2009. (via George Loper's archive)