Albemarle County Board of Supervisors
The six-member Board of Supervisors ("the Supervisors", "the Board", or the "BoS") is the highest decision-making body in Albemarle County.
Each board member is elected from one of the county's six magisterial districts. Supervisors are elected for four-year terms, staggered at two-year intervals, so that only three Supervisors are up for re-election at any given time.
The next election is in November 2019.
The current members of the Board of Supervisors, serving terms ending in 2017 or 2019 are:
- Norman Dill (Rivanna)
- Ann Mallek (White Hall)
- Diantha McKeel (Jack Jouett)
- Liz Palmer (Samuel Miller)
- Richard Randolph (Scottsville)
- Ned Gallaway (Rio)
This comprises six Democrats on the Board of Supervisors.
|5th and Avon Community Advisory Committee||Palmer|
|5th and Avon Community Advisory Committee||Randolph|
|Acquisition of Conservation Easement (ACE) Committee||Mallek|
|Agricultural and Forestal Advisory Committee||Mallek|
|Albemarle Broadband Authority||Palmer|
|Albemarle Economic Development Authority||McKeel|
|CIP Oversight Committee||Dill|
|CIP Oversight Committee||Randolph|
|Crozet Community Advisory Committee||Mallek|
|Darden Towe Park Committee||Dill|
|Darden Towe Park Memorial Committee||Gallaway|
|Hazardous Materials Local Emergency Planning Committee||Randolph|
|High Growth Coalition||Dill|
|High Growth Coalition||Mallek|
|Historic Preservation Committee||Mallek|
|Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO)||Gallaway|
|Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO)||Mallek|
|Pantops Community Advisory Committee||Dill|
|Piedmont Workforce Network Council (designee in absence of Chair)||McKeel|
|Places 29 (Hydraulic) Community Advisory Committee, Board liaison, with said term to expire December 31, 2018.||McKeel|
|Places 29 (Rio) Community Advisory Committee||Gallaway|
|Places 29-North Community Advisory Committee||Dill|
|Planning and Coordination Council||Dill|
|Planning and Coordination Council (PACC)||Mallek|
|Police Department Citizens Advisory Committee||McKeel|
|Regional Transit Partnership||Mallek|
|Regional Transit Partnership||McKeel|
|Residential Development Impact Work Group||Randolph|
|Rivanna River Basin Commission||Dill|
|Rivanna River Basin Commission||Mallek|
|Rivanna Solid Waste Authority||Palmer|
|Rivanna Water and Sewer Authority||Palmer|
|Solid Waste Alternatives Advisory Committee||Dill|
|Solid Waste Alternatives Advisory Committee (SWAAC) with said term to expire December 31, 2018.||Palmer|
|Thomas Jefferson Planning District Commission (TJPDC) Foundation Board||Palmer|
|Thomas Jefferson Planning District Commission (TJPDC) Foundation Board||Randolph|
|TJPDC Rural Transportation Advisory Council||Randolph|
|Village of Rivanna Community Advisory Committee||Randolph|
|Workforce Investment Board||Mallek|
Board commmittee assignments
- Main article: List of Albemarle Supervisors
The Chair presides over meetings, calls special meetings, and serves as the ceremonial head of government. The Vice Chair substitutes whenever the Chairman is unavailable. While the Chairman has no more power than any other Supervisor, the position carries with it the ability to set the agenda and conduct the public meetings.
Duties of the Board include:
- Approving the budget as prepared by staff.
|This list of duties is a stub. You can help cvillepedia by expanding it.|
Meetings and contact
The audio of every meeting is live-streamed in its entirety. A podcast is made available each day. The Board of Supervisors sought partnerships for video-streaming in 2015  but opted to do the work in-house. Video-streams of meetings have been available since November 2015.
With six members, there is frequently the possibility of a 3-3 stalemate. These have been dealt with in many ways. In May 1921, the board was temporarily down to 6 members following the death of James W. Early. A vote over a $500 appropriation resulted in a 3-3 tie which was resolved a month later by a court-appointed temporary replacement. In January 2013, the board opted not to pursue adding a seventh member.
Party affiliations on the Board
- Board of Supervisors official site
- Minutes of Board of Supervisors meetings
- Actions taken at Board meetings
- County's budget.
|An article on Wikipedia has information about Boards of Supervisors in areas beyond Albemarle County's borders.|
- Albemarle County Board of Supervisors Minutes, 8 Oct. 2008. County of Albemarle. Retrieved 8 Jun. 2010.
- Albemarle County. Albemarle County Code. Section 2-202. Web. 16 June 2010. <http://www.albemarle.org/upload/images/Forms_Center/Departments/County_Attorney/Forms/Albemarle_County_Code_Ch02_Administration.pdf>.
- Web. AUDIO PODCAST CENTER, ALBEMARLE COUNTY BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
- Web. Albemarle seeks partnerships for video streaming government meetings, Charlottesville Tomorrow, February 6, 2014, retrieved February 12, 2014.
- Web. Albemarle County Board of Supervisors minutes for June 15, 1921, County of Albemarle, retrieved December 7, 2011.
- Web. Albemarle chairmanship vote stalls for third year, Aaron Richardson, Daily Progress, World Media Enterprises, 9 Jan 2013, retrieved 10 July 2013.
- Courtney Miller. 15 May 1999. Daily Progress. 19 May 2009. (via George Loper's archive)