Albemarle Charlottesville Regional Jail
The Albemarle Charlottesville Regional Jail was created in 1974 as both communities opted to build one facility rather than continue to maintain existing corrections facilities. The facility, which is located on Avon Street Extended, has more than 600 beds, but its true capacity is not fully known. There are currently[when?] around 550 inmates. The jail also serves Nelson County. The state wanted both communities to cooperate on cleaning up their facilities. 
"To detain both pre-sentenced and sentenced inmates from the Albemarle, Charlottesville and Nelson jurisdictions who present a physical threat to the community or themselves, sentenced to jail , or a risk of not appearing for court hearings. The facility will be maintained and operated to safely and securely house individuals lawfully arrested and charged with a criminal offense by law enforcement agencies supporting the Albemarle-Charlottesville Regional Jail. In addition to housing local inmates, the facility may accept federal and state inmates and on a temporary basis."
- " Regional Jail-About ACRJ ." Albemarle County, Virginia - Official Web Site . N.p., n.d. Web. 31 Mar. 2010. <http://www.albemarle.org/department.asp?department=jail&relpage=3133>.
- Strong, Ted. "Study: Jail must determine a solid capacity number." Daily Progress [Charlottesville] 31 Mar. 2010: n. pag. Daily Progress. Web. 31 Mar. 2010.
- Print: The Seventies: Central Virginia Ends Decade of Joy and Tragedy, Doug Kamholz, Daily Progress, Worrell Newspaper group January 1, 1980, Page A1.
- " Regional Jail-ACRJ Mission Statement ." Albemarle County, Virginia - Official Web Site . N.p., n.d. Web. 31 Mar. 2010. <http://www.albemarle.org/department.asp?department=jail&relpage=3134>.
- Web. http://www.richmond.com/news/virginia/government-politics/general-assembly/virginia-general-assembly-kills-legislation-to-let-cities-remove-confederate/article_6ccc1469-8035-5c28-b932-c12983ddfa2f.html, Lauren Berg, Daily Progress, World Media Enterprises, January 25, 2018, retrieved January 31, 2018.
- Web. Albemarle-Charlottesville Jail Board Votes to Maintain Protocol for ICE Notification, Pete Deluca, News Article, WVIR NBC29, Charlottesville, Virginia, January 25, 2018, retrieved January 31, 2018.
- Web. Jail board votes to keep ICE notification policy, Courteney Stuart, News Article, CBS19 News, Charlottesville, Virginia, January 25, 2018, retrieved January 31, 2018.