625 West Main Street

From Cvillepedia
Jump to: navigation, search

625 West Main Street is a contributing structure in the West Main Street Architectural Design Control District. It is currently the home of the Horse & Hound Gastropub.


Logo-small25.jpg This article is a stub. You can help cvillepedia by expanding it.


History

The building that currently stands was built in 1935 to serve as a Phillips "66" Station. At the time the owner was W.A. Rinehart.

At the time it was a one storey building. In 1969, a car crash caused extensive damage to the building. In 1971, the interior was gutted. Ten years later, developer Charles Hurt applied for permission to turn it into a restaurant. In 1982, the Gaslight Restaurant opened with four upstairs apartments. [1]

After Gaslight closed, the building became the Blue Bird Cafe before becoming the Horse and Hound.

References

  1. Web. Staff report for West Main ADC revisions, December 2, 2013 City Council meeting, Mary Joy Scala, City of Charlottesville, December 2, 2013, retrieved December 9, 2013.