Emmet Street Streetscape
The Emmet Street Streetscape is a project funded through VDOT's Smart Scale process to make multimodal improvements on Emmet Street north of the University of Virginia. The project scored a 2.2 in the HB2 process in the winter of 2016. It was ranked 7 out of 17 projects submitted in VDOT's Culpeper District. 
The city hired negotiations with Clark Nexsen to design the project. 
|This Transportation-related article is a stub. You can help cvillepedia by expanding it.|
City Council agreed to apply for the project in September 2015. 
The Commonwealth Transportation Board approved the project in June 2016. 
The University of Virginia has expressed interest in working with the city to ensure their work on the Ivy Road corridor fits in with whatever the city comes up with.  Alexander Ikefuna told the PACC-Tech Committee on October 20, 2016 that there is no schedule at this time. 
Council voted to authorize funding for the projects after a public hearing in January 2017. 
Project description from application
"The Emmet Street corridor, north of the University Avenue/Ivy Road intersection, is one of the highest traffic volume corridors in the city. It serves as a gateway to the University of Virginia and provides a critical link between the University and commercial shopping areas north of the city. The student population and the corridor's direct proximity to the UVA grounds present a tremendous opportunity for modal shift with improved bicycle and pedestrian accommodations. The project area extends from the intersection of University/Ivy Road to Arlington Boulevard and includes a shared use path, improved bike lanes, consolidated bus stops/optimized bus shelters, landscaping, and improved pedestrian crossings at the intersections within the study area. The project implements recommendations from the Comprehensive Plan, Bicycle and Pedestrian Master Plan, MPO Long Range Transportation Plan, and supports the University’s long term development plans."
- April 18, 2018: Kickoff meeting
- May 12, 2018: Second committee meeting
- August 9, 2018: Community meeting
- September 17, 2018: Presentation at University of Virginia 
- Web. East High Streetscape Improvements, Virginia Department of Transportation, retrieved February 16, 2016.
- Web. City presents designs for Emmet Street infrastructure, receives student input, Sophia McCrimmon, News Article, Cavalier Daily, September 18, 2018, retrieved October 4, 2018.
- Web. Charlottesville lining up funding for bike, pedestrian projects, Sean Tubbs, Charlottesville Tomorrow, September 14, 2015, retrieved February 16, 2016.
- Web. State transportation panel to vote on Charlottesville streetscape projects, Charlottesville Tomorrow, June 13, 2016, retrieved October 24, 2016.
- Web. Regional and university leaders discuss streetscape projects, Sean Tubbs, Charlottesville Tomorrow, August 18, 2016, retrieved October 24, 2016.
- Web. Council moves forward on streetscape projects, Sean Tubbs, News Article, Charlottesville Tomorrow, January 3, 2017, retrieved November 26, 2017.